Although PS4 is a hardcore gaming machine, it has been equipped with tools to perform basic activities of Mac/Windows, like browsing the internet, streaming HD videos and music online. Some people, who like to multitask, can leverage this feature of the web browser can keep on playing games simultaneously. PS4 consists of a pre-installed web browser which can be used to surf the internet. However, there are certain limitations of this PS4 web browser which we will highlight at the end of this article.
Difficulties Faced By PS4 Web Browser Users
If you wish to use the web browser that comes with your PS4, please note that it does not support the Flash plug-in. This implies that websites which require Flash might not function properly. And the icing on the cake is that the PDF format isn’t supported either.
How To Use PS4 Web Browser?
Let us check out some simple guidelines that you need to follow to use the PS4 web browser:
- Select the ‘www’ icon from the content area on your console.
- Press the triangle button.
- Enter keywords in the search field or a URL into the address bar.
- You will be able to track the 8 most recently visited pages by changing the web filtering options in your settings.
- Basic functions, such as going forward or going back a page are accessed from your controller.
- In order to open a new window, press the R2 button while + (New) is displayed.
- You can only have 6 windows open at a time.
In order to make it easier, you can download the PlayStation App on your tablet or smartphone, select the ‘connect to PS4’ option when you’re on a shared Wi-Fi connection, and then navigate the user interface using your phone or use the on-screen keyboard.
Advantages Of Using PS4 Web Browser
- The browser is based on WebKit, which is “open source” and powers Chrome and Firefox. Thus, it is powerful, has a huge market share and its compatibility is good.
- The browser is faster and more compatible than the browser that came with PS3.
- One clear advantage for gamers is that they can easily cut between gaming and browsing and come back again with no loss of gameplay. This could come in handy for the incredibly busy, or the multi-tasking gamers.
- Although it is highly unlikely that you would ever be in less than 5 steps away from a smartphone, tablet, laptop or PC, if you ever were caught short, then you can use the PS4 browser to look up important things such as cheat codes or check your email. It’s an extremely handy tool.
- It also feels nice to view the web from your HD TV.
Some Drawbacks Of PS4 Web Browser
- Doesn’t supports flash and hence restricting the user access to some websites.
- Can’t open multiple tabs instead, users will have to manage with multiple windows.
- Multiple windows have the ability to lower down the performance.
- It might turn out to be an irritating task for some people to type using an on screen keyboard.