VLC is the most loved media player used by billions of people all over the world. Likewise, Chromecast is the most popular digital media player available in the market today. For the past many years, we have been anticipating VLC developers to come up with Chromecast support, and it’s finally here. In the latest Windows version of VLC, it is possible to stream audio and video files from VLC media player to Chromecast.
Steps To Steam From VLC To Chromecast
This amazing and useful feature of streaming VLC to Chromecast is unfortunately only available in the latest version of VLC 3.0 that too only in the Windows builds of VLC. The Mac, Linux, or Android versions of VLC are not yet compatible for this.
Let us check out the steps that you need to follow to stream from VLC to Chromecast:
- First of all, download and install the latest version of VLC for 32-bit Windows or VLC for 64-bit Windows, depending on whether your Windows operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Download the .exe file and run it to install that version of VLC.
- Once this is done, make sure Chromecast is on. If you have connected Chromecast to your TV for power, you will need to turn your TV on too.
- You won’t find a “Cast” icon in VLC yet. To find Chromecast, click on Video > Render > Scan.
- VLC will now scan for nearby devices. Now click on Video > Renderer > Your Chromecast. Finally, VLC will get connected to your Chromecast.
- Now, open a video file in VLC and click the “Play” button.
- Use the Media > Open File menu or just drag and drop a video file from your file manager onto the VLC window.
- After you play the video, you’ll see an “Insecure site” prompt. Click “View certificate” to view your Chromecast’s security certificate.
- Click “Accept permanently” to accept your Chromecast’s certificate.
- The video file should immediately begin playing on your Chromecast after you agree, with your Chromecast streaming the file from the VLC player on your computer.
- Use the controls in the VLC window to pause, fast forward, rewind, and otherwise control playback.
- When you try streaming in the future, you’ll just need to use the Video > Render menu to scan and connect. You do not need to accept the certificate prompt again.
That’s it! You are good to go now. If you were looking for this article to stream movies, then I must recommend Popcorn time for stream movies as it is absolutely free and a stellar application.