- 1 What Is Google Chromecast?
- 2 Why Should You Use KODI With Chromecast?
- 3 What Do You Need To Cast KODI On Chromecast?
- 4 Should I Use Smartphone Or PC To Cast KODI On Chromecast?
- 5 How To Stream KODI On Chromecast With Android Smartphone?
- 6 How To Stream KODI On Chromecast Using PC/Mac?
What Is Google Chromecast?
In recent times, Google Chromecast has taken over the online streaming industry by storm. Google Chromecast is a HDMI dongle type product which is just like Roku, Apple TV or Google TV. It allows you to stream content from any device – your tablet, iPhone, laptop to your television specifically Netflix or Youtube. You can even cast your chrome browser directly to HDTV and that way you can get access to other media sources such as Hulu that are not currently supported by other apps. This product from Google surely offers an exciting way of streaming media to your TV.
Hence, if you wish to use the Smart TV in your room to stream KODI content instead of streaming it on a smartphone, then we will help you with the process. But before we proceed, let me add a disclaimer that we do not encourage the use of KODI since it is associated with piracy. Nor do we endorse any application or hardware that we have described in this article. It is completely the readers choice to do whatever they want after getting all the information from this page.
Important Note (USE VPN)
Now hold on for a minute. Let me help you. Do you use KODI frequently? Then, do you know about VPN? Well, it won’t be late before you receive a copyright infringement for streaming pirated content online if you don’t use VPN. A VPN will keep your online identity safe and protect you from such notices. It will cost a monthly or yearly subscription to get a nice VPN, but we highly recommend getting it since a notice of copyright infringement sound more troubling than a monthly subscription.
Why Should You Use KODI With Chromecast?
Any hardware, be it Roku, Xbox, PS4, Fire TV, Apple TV or Chromecast, can be utilized to an extent upto next level after installing KODI on it. KODI, being an open source, unleashes the power of people and you get to install ingenious plugins & add-ons to take your entertainment to next level. Since Chromecast is the cheapest and easiest to use of all streaming devices, it is all the more reason to use KODI on it. All the features that you miss out on, for not buying Roku or Apple TV, won’t make any sense once you install KODI. Because KODI brings everyone on the same level.
What Do You Need To Cast KODI On Chromecast?
Chromcast Dongle: No I’m not kidding. It is obvious that you’ll be having a Chromecast dongle since you were searching for this article. But still, I like to write a tutorial in a systematic way. So, make sure you’ve got the Chromcast dongle handy before initiating the procedure.
HDMI Port On TV: Even though Chromcast dongle looks like USB stick, it won’t fit in a USB port. Because it is meant to be plugged into the HDMI port of your TV. I know my readers are smart and won’t buy Chromecast in the first place if they don’t have an HDMI compatible TV. But as I said above, tutorials!
Also See: How To Use Modio On Xbox 360?
Wi-Fi: Ya, of course. I hope you guys aren’t pissed yet. Who on this planet would get a Chromecast and read about casting KODI on Chromecast without having a WiFi connection? But, this is just a reminder, make sure that your WiFi is fit & fine, ready to work!
Computer/Smartphone: Since KODI cannot be installed on Chromecast itself, we need a medium which can fill the gap. We will use a smartphone or a computer system to install KODI and then cast it to Chromecast.
USB Cable: This can be any USB cable, even the one that you fix in your smartphone charger.
Should I Use Smartphone Or PC To Cast KODI On Chromecast?
Depends! If you have a latest or high-end smartphone which is capable of running CPU intensive apps, then it’s good enough. But if you’re not sure about it, then better proceed with a PC.
I know. Android or iPhone. Neither of them has Kodi app on their app store. But in android, you can download the KODI apk and install it. The same cannot be done in iPhone. You need to sideload the KODI app on your iPhone or jailbreak it. So those having an iPhone, the better choice would be to use a computer.
How To Stream KODI On Chromecast With Android Smartphone?
There are two ways to stream KODI on Chromecast using an Android smartphone. What’s the difference between them? One of them is very easy to implement and quick process, but it will eat up your battery equally faster. While the other method will spare your battery, it will require you to do some work since the process is lengthy and require significant time to implement. Make your choice and continue with either of the methods.
#1 Method 1 (Save Battery)
Although this method takes time and needs lot of work, I deem this to be best because of a couple of reasons. One, you can stream KODI on Chromecast, after implement this, even when your smartphone is locked. Moreover, you can even multitask while streaming it on Chromecast. The same cannot be done with the second method. In fact, if you go for the second method, you’re bound to experience glitches while streaming. Hence, I highly recommend everyone to take out an hour from their schedule and do the needful so that you can eat the fruits later.
Install The Following Apps On Your Smartphone
1. KODI: Naturally, we need KODI since on the smartphone since the whole point of casting KODI on Chromecast revolves around it.
2. Localcast: It is an app which we will use in this tutorial to cast the content of your smartphone to Chromecast. You are free to use any other app which serves the purpose, but I have personally used Localcast and found it easier than others.
3. ES File Explorer: I think this is an underrated app and it should be on your smartphone anyway. ES Explorer is so easy to use and scan through files with. You can manage the hidden files and everything quite smoothly.
Once you’re done installing all the above apps, download PlayFactoryCore.xml file on your smartphone. Why do we need it? Well, KODI, usually, doesn’t allow playing its content on any other video player than itself. But, since we need to stream it on Chromecast we need to change this setting and the PlayFactoryCore.xml file does this for us.
Place The .XML File In Kodi’s User Data Folder
- Start the ES File Explorer.
- From the top left corner, open Settings.
- Here, in Display Settings, check Show Hidden Files.
- Now, open the folder where you’ve downloaded PlayFactoreCore.xml file.
- Copy this file and move to Android>>Data>>org.xmbc.kodi>>files>>.kodi>>userdata.
- Paste the .xml file here.
Now open Kodi and play a video. When you do this, a Localcast app pop-up will appear. If you have more than one casting apps installed on your smartphone, then you’ll be asked to select one from the list. Once the Localcast opens, select your Chromecast TV and continue. The video should now be cast on your Chromecast. At this point, even if you lock your phone, the video will continue to play. You can unlock the smartphone and change volume or video if you want to.
#2 Method 2 (Save Time)
- Open Chromecastapp on your Android phone.
- Open the menu and select “Cast screen/audio”.
- Follow the instructions for connecting to Chromecast.
- Open Kodi.
- Find and play the video you want to watch.
- The video will now start playing on both devices.
How To Stream KODI On Chromecast Using PC/Mac?
Using PC/Mac will get you the best results in terms of video quality while streaming KODI on Chromecast. In order to use PC/Mac to stream KODI on Chromecast, you need to install 3 applications.
- KODI: You can get the installation file of KODI for PC/Mac easily.
- Google Chrome: I’m assuming that most of you have it installed already. For poor souls who don’t, please do it.
- The Google Cast Chrome Extension: Go to the Chrome Webstore and search for the Chromecast extension.
Go ahead and install all the above prerequisites. Once done, proceed with the further steps.
- Open Google cast extension.
- You’ll be asked what you want to cast. Choose entire screen.
- Connect your PC/Mac and TV with HDMI cable.
- Now all the content from your PC/Mac will be visible on TV.
- So now you can open KODI and play anything.
- To achieve best results, make sure there are no other programs running in the background.
Go ahead and stream your favorite movies and TV shows using Chromecast with KODI! I hope you’ll enjoy the time. If you face any issue while implementing any of the above methods to stream Kodi on Chromecast, feel free to raise them in comments below. I will try my best to solve them. Cheers!