- 1 First things first: What is Roku?
- 2 How To Stream Kodi on Roku?
- 3 Is Kodi illegal?
- 4 Conclusion
First things first: What is Roku?
Roku is a marvelous device that has changed the way we watch TV. Basically, Roku is a streaming stick for the smart TV which gives you access to thousands of movies and TV episodes. That means you can stream almost anything with the click of a button. It’s as simple as that. In short, Roku is a convenient and affordable way of watching TV.
How to jailbreak Roku?
Frankly speaking, there is no specific technique to jailbreak Roku. But, what you can do is – Install Kodi on Roku.
Next obvious question: What is Kodi?
Kodi is the best system software that is available in the market if you want to stream videos and music on any device. Some of the advantages of using Kodi are:
- It is widely supported. You can download and install it on almost any device – your TV, laptop, smartphone or tablet.
- Many downloadable add-ons and plug-ins are available, owing to the open nature of the Kodi platform.
- It is completely free to download and use.
In short, Kodi is the best and the safest method that one can use to enjoy all TV shows and movies.
How To Stream Kodi on Roku?
Technically, there is no direct way of streaming Kodi on Roku. But, as always, there are tricks with which you can indirectly stream Kodi on Roku. To do this, you need to have the following:
- A smartphone or a Windows PC or any Android running device.
- This process of streaming Kodi content on Roku device requires the use of cast feature.
Back to the million-dollar question: How to Jailbreak Roku Stick?
The best way of jailbreaking Roku stick or getting Kodi on Roku is to run the software with a HDMI cable. This will stream the device on the Roku stick. Basically, how the HDMI cable works is that it digitally transfers the information (0s and 1s) from your PC to your TV. This process is so easy that even a layman can ‘set’ the setup and jailbreak the Roku stick.
As I mentioned earlier, the process of streaming Kodi content on Roku device requires the use of a cast feature. In simple terms, what you need to do is, mirror your device and by doing that you will be able to replicate the screen of your smartphone onto your TV screen. All you need to do is download KODI, control it with the help of another device (laptop, phone, tablet etc.) and “beam” it to Roku. Using this simple technique, you can view content from your phone on the TV.
Cast Feature on Roku 3
The cast feature can only be performed on the latest version of Roku i.e. Roku 3. Therefore, make sure you have a Roku 3 (or higher) streaming stick if you intend to jailbreak the Roku stick and stream Kodi on Roku.
How To Enable Screen Mirroring For Windows PC To Get Roku?
First, make sure that the windows that you have must be version 8.1 or higher. Then, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Start Menu.
- Go to the settings menu of your device.
- Click on the ‘Add Device’ option.
- Now, you will find a list which will reflect the Roku device, select the Roku device.
- You will see that the screen of your Roku device turns into purple.
- Now, your PC is mirrored with Roku.
- Since Kodi is compatible with Windows, you will be able to run Kodi on your computer and the same content will be displayed on the Roku device as well.
How To Enable Screen Mirroring On Your Android device To Get Roku?
First, make sure that the android version of your device must be at least 4.4.2 or higher. This can be checked from the “about” section in the settings menu of your smartphone. Secondly, you need to make sure that your android phone is connected to the Roku device. This means that both of your devices should be connected to the same network. Follow these steps:
- Go to the settings menu on your Roku device.
- Go to the “network” section to view the details of the network.
- The screen mirroring procedure can now be started Follow these steps:
- Go to the settings menu.
- Select the “display” option from the settings menu.
- Select the Cast Screen/Mirroring option.
- Find the checkbox – “Enable Wireless Display”. Check it.
That’s it. After performing this easy procedure, you will be able to find the Roku device in the Cast Screen.
Is Kodi illegal?
Kodi has been blamed by its competitors for promoting illegal activities, because the open-source software can be easily manipulated to grant users access to loads of content of questionable origin.
Kodi can also be added to set-top boxes, and this is where some of the software’s issues have stemmed from. Some users have been filling set-top boxes with plug-ins and add-ons that offer unlicensed and unlimited access to copyright-protected content.
Even though Kodi’s name is associated with illegally-streamed content, Kodi software itself is not illegal to use. However, the software can be manipulated in such a way that it can be used to perform illegal activities, such as –
- Watching live copyright-protected sports broadcasts
- Accessing pirated copies of Hollywood films or the latest TV series for free.
In fact, some nefarious users are loading the open-source software onto dedicated hardware devices known as ‘Kodi boxes’. Even though Kodi does not make any such hardware itself, these boxes are available on Amazon and eBay.
These so-called Kodi boxes are illegal and one may get arrested if one resorts to openly selling the doctored hardware. These illegal devices have gained popularity in bars and clubs as they can easily grant customers illegal access to live sports action.
But, ignoring the fact that the software can be tweaked to enable legally questionable activities, Kodi is a perfectly legal software.
Once you install Kodi on Roku, you are good to go. Stream all your favorite movies and latest TV shows and enjoy them for free!