Why change PS4 NAT type?
Many a time it so happens that when you are playing online on your PS4, you get disconnected from your online gaming session and you get PS4 NAT type error. The most efficient way to resolve this issue is by changing the NAT (for those who are not computer literate – NAT is network address translation) type for the PS4. Once you do this, you will notice a huge improvement in your online gaming experience.
There are 3 “types” of NAT type:
- NAT Type 1 (Open) – This means that you are not behind any router/firewall and thus you should not have any issues while gaming, but this may cause security issues.
- NAT Type 2 (Moderate) – This means that your PS4 is properly connected and you should not have any issues.
- NAT Type 3 (Strict) – This means that you may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads but other functions may not work properly.
How to find your NAT type
To get open NAT type on PS4, follow the following steps:
- Settings>Network>Internet Connection Status
- The NAT type will be listed at the bottom.
How to fix PS4 NAT type
Follow the following steps:
- First of all, you need to figure out how to connect to your router. This address usually looks like 192.168.1.111 or 192.168.1.2. If you type this address in your web browser, you will be asked to put in your credentials such as administrator login and password. With this, you will get into the router. This essential information is printed on the bottom of the router or in the manual that comes with the router.
- Now enable UPnP function on the router. There are two ways to do this:
- Set a static IP address for your PS4 and assign it to the DMZ (demilitarized zone).
- Open up some ports and assign it to the PS4.
Also See: Rebuild PS4 Database
You need to keep one thing in mind – Do not set DMZ for the entire router. This could be dangerous as this is extremely insecure.
Open up these ports in both directions TCP and UDP:
- For Sony’s first party systems, i.e. voice chat, PSN, remote play, games etc. you need to open the above-mentioned ports. Once rebooting is done you will be allowed to have the best NAT type for PS4 – NAT Type 2.
Apart from this, another easiest method for changing PS4 NAT Type is by giving it a static IP and then putting it in the router’s DMZ. But this process will require a pinch of technical acquaintance. So please follow the below method only if you understand it thoroughly.
- Open the router’s system settings. Usually the common IP addresses are 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.0 or 10.0.0.1.
- In the connected devices, check which IP address the PS4 is connected to. It should be something like 192.168.0.x.
- Move to the advance setting and find the DMZ mode. Using this mode, you can open all the ports on a particular IP address.
- Copy the IP address of PS4 and paste it here. Ideally, this works instantly but you could reset the PS4 and then check.
- The NAT is now open.
At times, you might also see an error stating the failure of PS4 Nat Type. I would recommend following the same process in that case as well.
Continuous & Error-Free Gaming Experience
Definitely, once you change the NAT type on your PS4, you can enjoy a continuous and error-free gaming experience. Happy and safe gaming!